Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dad's Celiacs Disease & Current Worries

About two to three weeks ago, we found out that Dad really wasn't able to digest his food at all. So, after some diet experimentation, we discovered he has developed a gluten intolerance (AKA Celiacs Disease). Mom is currently in Anchorage, Alaska on a business trip for two weeks, so I was left to help Dad and my Diabetic brother figure out their meals.

It's been fun trying to cook new things for their dietary needs, but I'm vegetarian...so we've had separate dinners here and there to make everyone happy.

The recent Wednesday, I made the difficult decision to quit most of my theatre jobs in Seattle. I worked for Annex Theatre, Stone Soup Theatre, Seattle Musical Theatre, Book-It Theatre, and had plans to work for PonyWorld Theatre on two of their upcoming projects. But the commute to Seattle became too much, especially with my lack of consistent (small) pay checks.
So, after a morning full of tears, I emailed every theatre expect Book-It, discontinuing my services, emphasizing my priority to find a job in retail/sales.
I still feel like I let them down, but I have no other choice. I can't even afford my next student loan payment...so, paying for parking and paying for gas on a regular basis is kinda out of the question. I'm trying to hold on to the belief that it's all for the best, and it doesn't mean I'm giving up on my dreams.

In 4 months, I leave for camp...but I certainly won't tell any future employer that.
If I find a job, that is.

Damn this economy.

But if you have a gluten-free loved one, here is a yummy recipe for fish stew. It does require that you have a thicker cast iron pot, or a stove top Dutch Oven.
They sell pretty decent ones at Freddies for $80. Totally worth it, if you loves soups/stews/chowders/chili as much as I do.

www.glutenfreemommy.com/fish-stew

Here's hoping things pick up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment