Friday, February 18, 2011

hurt it out now, live to survive it later

I remember how it felt,
overwhelmed by flipping light switches.
Standing still while your skin kept
it all from falling out on the ground.
You knew it would go away some day,
but you didn't know when,
all you knew it'd never be soon enough.
But with the lights flipped off
the sun's no longer around
to remind you of things and people.
The requirement to survive
isn't alone under the comforter,
and man, that's always nice.

Darlin' hurt it out now,
live to survive it later.

Momma always told me,
You just haven't kissed enough toads.
But I chased the wrong ones,
and I kissed 'em with all
the impatience I always had.
Never made for a happy ending,
believe you me.

Darlin' hurt it out now,
live to survive it later.

I swear with every tear shed,
it's like losing pounds
just in crude oil, and next
time it hurts less, but still sucks
flippin' all those light switches.

Well, we may live to love,
or love 'cause it's the new diet.
But darling girl, there's more
than just kissing toads.
There's ball point pens,
and all things to fill these blank pages.
There's Starbucks, and traveling
miles in minutes in daydreams.

Live to find what color
you want your hair to be,
or should never be again, no really ever.
Live to find the things you
know you won't stand for again.
Find what you got,
not where you wish you weren't
or what you wish you had.

I recently learned, wishing never works...but hoping's always nicer,
as long as there's ground to stand on if the hope falls through.

Then maybe...just maybe you'll be friends with the light switch.
And become an expert at kissing something with lips...not mucous and warts.

I hope for you, and hope for I.
And I hope the toads find their fellow toads.
'cause if we hurt it out now, we'll love to live it later!

I'll always admire you from afar, because I hear your strength...and know your backbone holds more than they'll ever think! It's there, and it never stops.
It keeps coming, trying to push you down.

And you'll kick its ass!

I like the clouds too much, and I need to remember that there's plenty to find on the ground...sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment